Berkeley-Stanford Colloquium today.

Today is the Berkeley and Stanford colloquium. Persi Diaconis give an impressive talk on inference parameters on one graph sample. His talking on the board inspired me to learn more math, especially probablility, and then combine the math, probability theorems with statistics theory to connect to the real problems, such as graph limit theory. This is elegent to me. Persi always encourages students to learn both prob. and stat. so that understand the underline and global view of statistics.
 
The dinner is in Great China. This is my first time to go to the dinner with faculties and student from both departments. I choose a table to sit down with Charles Stein, Jim pitman, latter on Guenther Walther join us. Josh and another instructur who are teaching 204 this semester join us too.
 
I talked to Charles Stein about Eric Lehmann's book, and he seems very glad to remember that. He said he stay in our department for twice, althgouth I haven't understand quite well why twice. He is a quite person and very professional in statistics.
 
The experience of talking to Guenther Wal. is quite amazing. Actually, he gave a talk last year on Berkeley-Stanford colloquium on likelihood ratio test stuff. He told me he is doing theoretical stuff and trend to be a frequentist. As a theoretical statistician graduated from Berkeley and then go to Stanford as a professor on 1994, he nicely told me that one of the important thing is to study the real analysis and probability 205 well. Because a lot of stuff are related to them if goes to theory. And the statistics theory is also very important if you want to do theoretical works. Theorefore, he told me that we should learn these courses really well. That matches with my impression that we should pay more attention to what we current learn and assure we learn it well and understand the essensece by this time. Don't just let it go.
 
I am happy to attend these activities. On one side, it could train us the right skill of social, and extend our doman of recognizing people.
 

没有评论:

发表评论